This carrot cake has never seen the shadow of refined sugar, wheat or anything of that kind. Instead it is loaded with raw healthy ingredients rich in fiber, healthy fats, and nutrients.
Besides from a whole lot of carrots, it also contains three supefoods: chiaseeds, hempseeds and gojiberries, which are all known for their high content of health-boosting nutrients.
That said, this cake does contain some sugar from the dates and raisins. So though it can be considered a healthy carrot cake (as it is packed with fiber and nutrients), you still want to eat it in moderations, as you would with any cake.
High cholesterol friendly. This cake is unique in that it was actually made with a specifique purpose: to help my stepfarther lower his cholesterol (which was way to high). Therefore it contains three ingredients known to help lower high-cholesterol: almonds, carrots & oatbran.
If you like this recipe please share it, pin’it or leave a comment below – I’d love to hear from you! Thanks!
Raw Carrot Cake Recipe
- For the Cake:
- - 260 g carrot pulp from juice or shredded carrots*
- - 225 g dates
- - 110 g oat bran (or normal oats**)
- - 40 g raisins
- - 40 g almonds
- - 10 g (1/2 tsp) coconut oil
- - 1 ts cardamom
- - 1 tsp cinnamon
- - ½ tsp vanilla powder
- - 30 g (3 tbsp) gojiberry***
- - 20 g (2 tbsp) chiaseeds***
- - 20 g (2 tbsp) hemp seeds***
- For the Cashew Frosting:
- - 125g cashew nuts
- - 10 g (2 tsp) coconut oil
- - 11 tbsp water
- - 1 tsp vanilla powder
- - ½ tbsp fluent stevia (can be excluded)
- - 5 tsp raw honey or maple sirup
- - 2,5 tbsp limejuice
- For Extra Topping:
- - raisins and chooped hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds.
- Cashew Frosting:
- Let the cashews soak in water for about 4 hours. Remove the water, rinse, and blend them with water, vanilla powder, honey and a pinch of salt until you got a smooth paste.
- The cake:
- Mix dates with coconut oil in a food processor until you get a smooth date paste. Then add carrot pulp, wheat bran, hempseed, chiaseed, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla powder and mix it well. To finish up, ad almonds, raisins and gojiberries and run the foodprocessor for a short while to get the last ingredients mixed in the cake, without being chopped up to much.
- Place the cake dove on a plate and form it as a round or square cake with a knife or your hands. Cover the cake (top + sides) with the cashew frosting and finish by adding raisins and chooped hazel nuts on the top.
- Will last for 2-3 days in the fridge.
** if using oats, then grind them in a blender or food processor before adding them.
*** can all be excluded if they are not in your kitchen, though the chiaseeds helps makes a nice consistency.